Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Troubled waters

After returning from vacation we made a scary discovery: A pond nearly devoid of fish. About 15 koi and goldfish were swimming in our front-yard pond when we departed, but only two fish appeared when I threw in food the morning after our return. Clearly, something terrible happened there. We suspect a blue heron. The Chattahoochee River, which runs through Atlanta, is a heron magnet. And the big birds have discovered homeowner ponds, of which there are many. My next door neighbor, the owner of a PR firm, lost all her fish. A couple weeks ago my wife and I stopped on our walk to watch a blue heron swallowing fish and maybe tadpoles in a runoff pond at an intown apartment and condo complex. Before that, I stared in amazement out our back window one afternoon as a heron sat in our neighbor's tree. We hope our missing fish are just really good at hiding and not some urban wader's lucky find.

1 comment: