Sunday, August 16, 2009

Porch sitting

Brothers Justin and Daniel take a break from farming in Millersburg, Ky., to watch the traffic go by on Route 68. I met them on a road trip while driving north from Atlanta. Porch sitting is a sign of a healthy neighborhood. A recent New York Times story said porch sitting was back in style in the formerly ravaged Astor Row section of Harlem. Socialite Brooke Astor, now dead, had helped with the revitalization by providing $1.7 million to restore many of the street's decayed wooden porches.

5 comments:

  1. This post brings back so many fond memories of when I lived in Hot Springs while growing up as a child I would sit on the porch and wave at every car that drove by just because I knew everybody that passed by. It was a community thing that makes you feel so good about where you live and the people that live close by. My current house has a small porch that needs to be restored. I wish Astor would send some of that money to the old style Tudor neighborhood community housing area where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, these guys were doing a lot of waving. Porch sitting is a pretty efficient way to see a lot of your neighbors, even if only in passing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish porch sitting was a sign of a healthy person. 'Cause I sure do a lot of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the times called it "stoop" instead of "porch" cause that's what it is in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, porch is the operative word in the article. The headline, the main cutline, the lead and a sentence high up in the story all say porch. Stoop is mentioned pretty far down, when describing a woman who lives across the street. Must have been written by a non-native.

    ReplyDelete