Friday, September 18, 2009

Frank Moran's Lincoln


Frank Moran lived in a remote part of northern Vermont, not too far from Quebec. In 1933 he carved this bust of Lincoln, and several years later carved a larger seated Lincoln that's now in the Fenimore Art Museum in Cooperstown. My parents lived in Cooperstown for some 20 years and I made numerous visits to the museum when I visited them. I always spent some time looking at the Lincoln, perhaps because I used to live in the Green Mountain State and I imagined Moran to be one of those flinty Vermonters I liked so much, but with artistic talent. When this head became available a decade ago, I jumped at the chance to buy it.
Here's more about Moran and the carving in Cooperstown:
http://folkartcooperstown.blogspot.com/2009/08/abraham-lincoln-kitchen-companion.html

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the plug for my American Folk Art @ Cooperstown blog! Your blog is great. I'll come back often.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited the Fenimore Museum to get my folk art fix and to see again and again the Thaw collection of Native-American art. Wow is the only way to describe those objects. You guys do a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to report the Lincoln head is going to the Fenimore Art Museum, to join the full-body Lincoln sculpture also done by Frank Moran. That is the best place for this fine bust.

    ReplyDelete