Monday, September 21, 2009

Not PC

Some visitors to our home are put off by this drawing done by Henry Speller, who lived in Memphis. They find it offensive and would rather look at art that follows the rules of decorum and taste. But if Speller had worried about offending viewers, he would have been forgotten. Instead, Speller's raw imagery is prized by collectors of outsider art. I never met Speller so I don't know if he enjoyed shocking people or had no clue his artwork might be disturbing. Either way, the internal censor was off and the art world is better off for it.

3 comments:

  1. At the age of four, my daughter looked at a Speller drawing and said, "Dad, her privates are showing." But she was observing, not judging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet it was a drawing she remembered. Well, maybe not seeing as she was 4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is an old rumor that he didn't do nudes until a collector told him to. I'm not sure of it, I never looked into it, I don't remember where I heard it, but there you go. Speller also played guitar and I'd love to hear some of it...anyone tape him? At first glance, I thought Mr. Speller posed his lovely against a keyboard! Someone has been seeing too much internet cheesecake.
    Jim Linderman
    Dull Tool Dim Bulb

    ReplyDelete