Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sleuthing



A long time ago I bought this amateur landscape, an impasto done in 1964, then put it away. Recently, I looked at it again and grew curious about the artist. So I did some sleuthing. On the back is an old tag that says 436 Thole St. I Googled the address and learned it's in Norfolk, Va. Then I looked up Kurzers in the Norfolk area and found Dr. Barry Kurzer,  a dentist, who told me more about the artist. She was Minnie Kurzer, his mother. Dr. Kurzer said Mrs. Kurzer was a hobby painter who took classes at Old Dominion University. I tried to describe the painting to him but he wasn't sure what location it shows. Minnie Kurzer died in August 2000 at age 83, so she would have been about 47 when she painted this scene. Her obituary said Mrs. Kurzer was a Norfolk native and member of Temple Israel, the Hebrew Ladies Charities, Hadassah, Beth Sholom Home Auxiliary and the Mended Hearts Association. She had been married to Sam Kurzer for 49 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment