Friday, December 18, 2009

Gates and grills



Many buildings in Kolkata feature ironwork to provide security. That's understandable given the city's huge population of desperately poor people. But who says protective gates and grills have to look boring? Throughout the city are numerous examples of fancifully designed iron. One residential building I saw was covered with grillwork showing scenes populated with human figures; unfortunately, I did not have my camera. But I did take a picture to prove there are penguins in Kolkata.

2 comments:

  1. I love all the pictures you've posted from Kolkata. Would love to read a full-blown story on your experiences there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tiger. My wife, Moni Basu, is writing about our recent trip on her blog, Evil Reporter Chick, which is under links.

    ReplyDelete