Friday, January 1, 2010

It's a new decade, baby



2010 begins with a bang for me: a new career. After three decades in journalism, I'm shifting to what reporters call "the dark side" -- public relations. I'm excited about the job -- media relations manager for a big law firm -- but 2010 probably would have been more of the same had newspapers not gone on life support. I liked being a reporter. No matter, my former employer has had three downsizings, and I was one of about 80 who departed in the most recent buyouts, figuring this newspaper gig is not safe anymore. I told myself that with nearly a year's pay I could find something else to do, and I did. During my down time I started this blog and a Web gallery, and fired off the occasional job application. I may have to cut back on my blogging, but I'll take that because I'm going to work Monday morning, for the first time in eight months. Millions of Americans are not so lucky. Let's hope 2010 brings jobs.

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck on your new venture. It is a lot of work to keep up a blog like this, but I hope you know it was appreciated. I also hope you still have time to blog a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christine. I will continue to blog because I love oddball art and antiques and the comments they generate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Kevin!!! It's exciting to be starting a new job. I am 2 months into my new position and love it.

    ReplyDelete