Monday, April 19, 2010

Derek Webster


This past weekend I received my Folk Art Messenger and read Michael Noland's rememberance of Derek Webster, the Chicago artist who died in December. Michael wrote, "Derek Webster may very well have been the nicest person I have ever met." I couldn't agree more. I visited Derek just once but I was struck by what a gentleman he was. No pressure to buy his artwork. He just seemed genuinely happy to have visitors. When I was there he had a bunch of plates decorated with used items most of us throw away. I bought a few of those and figured the next time I visit I'll get something different. But years went by and I never made it back to his home. The sculpture I bought on the secondary market before visiting Derek. To this day I enjoy including his art in my life.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you saw my piece on Derek. I just hope I did his spirit justice. I am glad to see him remembered on your blog. I hope things are well with you. Mike

    ReplyDelete