Monday, August 16, 2010

The bottlecap king and queen




Clarence and Grace Woolsey were an Iowa couple who grew famous after they passed away and their entire collection of bottlecap art was auctioned off in 1993 for almost nothing. An individual piece today can cost several thousand dollars. I bought this tall thing from the late Jane Cieply who, with her husband Dick, operated Hypoint Antiques in Illinois. It has the look of an old water-pumping windmill, like the ones that used to dot the Midwest, but the wheel is stationary. For more on the Woolseys, go here and here.

5 comments:

  1. (Sigh) I have always wanted one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane Cieply was a terrific art lady with wonderful things. I didn't know she had passed, but I'll remember her fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane was a great lady and wonderful dealer with a great eye for Folk Art. Was proud to have known her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Australia we have door scrapers made of beer bottle caps - scarce though because they were hard working little critters. I don't have a great example but have saved all my Coopers Pale Ale caps for my (makings) in retirement. Caps are placed face down to the verandah floor and nailed insitu but mostly they are nailed to a separate wooden base.
    Loved seeing these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the first I've heard of bottle cap door scrapers. Thanks, male.

    ReplyDelete