Tuesday, January 25, 2011

One-legged doll


A brief article in the New York Times about a display at a Soho museum of children's paintings got me to wondering if I had any children's art. After poking around I found this Vermont doll I had bought at Brimfield several years ago. I'm guessing an adult or older child actually built the doll but an elementary school-age child could have painted the face. If it was not a young child painter then it was certainly someone attuned that sensibility. The hair is a mop and the hands look like tongue depressors. She might be a witch.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the lead on the 1938 collection of children's art. I checked it out online. I have a few pieces that my grandchildren have done and treasure them as folk -- so naive. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete