Saturday, July 23, 2011

Joe Louis bedspread


An unusual chenille bedspread showing the Brown Bomber, who was the heavyweight boxing champ from 1937 to 1949. This textile is particularly interesting to me because Dalton, Ga., northwest of Atlanta, where I live, was the tufted bedspread capital of the U.S. during the Great Depression. But that area of the state is predominately white, so is it still likely the Joe Louis bedspread was made there? The former owner said he acquired it in Texas. Maybe that's where it was made.

5 comments:

  1. WOW! I HAD HEARD OF THIS SPREAD BUT HAD NEVER SEEN IT..I HAVE SEEN MANY VINTAGE CHENILLE SPREADS AS I CO-AUTHORED THE BOOK "CHENILLE-A COLLECTORS GUIDE BY SCHIFFER PUB.. JUDYCHNEILLE.COM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say this was made in or near Daulton Ga. This a very rare spread. One i had heard of but never seen.
    Co- author of CHENILLE- A COLLECTORS GUIDE bu Schiffer publishing co...
    judith greason
    judychenille.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much for the information, Judith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this for sale? A true work of art..This was machine made. THIS IS CHENILLE.. CANDLEWICKS WERE HAND TUFTED, WHICH STARTED IN DALTON,GA..1895. Was one of the first cottage industries in america.. Folk art...APROX 1930'S THEY STARTED USING MACHINES TO MAKE THE THE CHENILLES... Looks to be in excellent shape.. Unused even.. If anyone has any questions I'm on Facebook.. judy chenille OR JUDYCHENILLE.COM..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, it is a work of art. And yes, it is for sale. I'm going to put it on my gallery site shortly. I will try to email you with price, etc. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete